There are hundreds, if not thousands of metronome apps available, and I’ve used quite a few. However, I’ve found one that stands out from the crowd—Pro Metronome by EUMLab. As with most metronomes, there’s a jog wheel and a tap tempo, but this one has a very cool feature (that I’m surprised others do not)—a numeric keypad for tempo. It’s available for iPhones, iPads and Android devices as a free app with an in app purchase for a pro version.
While the paid version ($2.99) unlocks all of the features, the free version has all of the basics of any metronome app, and a few more, such as adjusting accents on each beat. I really do recommend paying the three bucks for this app. Remember when metronomes cost ten times the price?
- Lots of subdivisions, plus polyrhythms!
- 13 different tones, including voice; but most importantly—cowbell!
- Control dynamics for each beat
- Tap tempo
- Practice timer
- App works in the background
- Use in portrait or landscape mode, and combine with AirPlay for large-screen viewing
- Visual modes for beats, including colored downbeat accents and pendulum mode
- Audio can be routed directly into GarageBand
- Create custom playlists
Overall, this is the best metronome app I’ve used, and I recommend both the free and paid versions.